TEAM NEWSBeram Kayal and Sam Baldock could feature in a Brighton squad for the first time this season against Southampton on Sunday.Midfielder Kayal is ready for a return from a broken leg while forward Baldock is back after pre-season calf surgery. Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina is absent with an ankle injury sustained in training this week.
Saints have no other new injury concerns, with defender Jeremy Pied remaining out with a groin problem.Sofiane Boufal is pushing for a starting role after scoring the winning goal against West Brom last weekend.MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTESSteve Wilson: “In a League One clash in November 2010, Southampton and Brighton fought out a goalless draw at St Mary’s. “In his post-match TV interview the then-Southampton boss Nigel Adkins was asked if he thought the two clubs would be competing for the title. His response was: ‘If they can keep pace with us, maybe.’ “Brighton were well and truly riled, and what had been a relatively low-key south coast rivalry has had an added edge ever since. “Brighton went on to win the title that season, with Southampton promoted as runners-up. The following year there were three red cards in their two Championship meetings. “They have not played each other competitively since – but they have also not forgotten.” Twitter: @WilsonfootyWHAT THE MANAGERS SAYBrighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton: “Southampton are a wonderfully gifted team and that makes it a very difficult game on Sunday. We will have to be good at both ends. They have the ability to play the game a certain way and I don’t think they will change that.”Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino on a possible recall for Sofiane Boufal: “This is one possibility. I’m happy with that because Sofiane I think in the last two or three games is playing well, even when he came from the bench.”Against Stoke and Newcastle and the other day obviously, and I’m really happy with that because I want to improve the competition in the squad.”LAWRO’S PREDICTIONBoth sides would probably be happy with a draw, which is exactly what I think they will get.Prediction: 1-1Lawro v England cricketers Moeen Ali & James AndersonThink you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.MATCH FACTSHead-to-headBrighton won the most recent meeting 3-0 at home in the Championship in January 2012. That was only their second victory in the last 13 meetings in all competitions (D4, L7).Brighton & Hove AlbionBrighton have lost just two of their last seven Premier League matches (W3, D2).They could win four of their opening 10 matches in a top-flight season for the first time.Victory against Saints would also ensure back-to-back top-flight victories for the first time since September 1982.Pascal Gross has been involved in six of Brighton’s nine league goals this season, with two goals and four assists. Chris Hughton takes charge of his 100th Premier League match on Sunday.SouthamptonSouthampton have won five Premier League away matches in 2017, one more than their tally at home.Saints go into the weekend as the joint-lowest scorers in the top half of the table, with eight goals.They have failed to score in nine of their last 15 Premier League matches.Sofiane Boufal’s winner against West Brom last weekend was his first goal in 23 Premier League games.Shane Long has failed to score in his last 26 appearances for club and country.Nathan Redmond has had a Premier League-high 24 shots without scoring this season. SAM’s verdictMost probable score: 1-1Probability of draw: 28%Probability of home win: 33%Probability of away win: 39%SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Liverpool that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.
Source: BBC Hampshire